Ultimate Video iPod Resources

Since the release of the much anticipated Video iPod, the actual task of getting video on to the damned thing has been tricky. There are different codecs and resolutions that the iPod may or may not support (the limits are being pushed in both of these areas), so it may not be as easy as you think.

Hopefully, this list will help you out in this regard and make your video iPod experience a pleasant one.

Downloads in iPod compatible formats
One of the easiest ways of getting video on your iPod is to download it in already compatible forms. We suggest the following for this solution:

Podtropolis.com
iPodVideoTorrents.com
torPod.com
TorrentSpy.com – iPod Search
ThePirateBay.org – iPod Search
MiniNova.org – iPod Search

But what if you want to convert your existing videos to a format that is playable on the iPod? More and more software is emerging to handle this task. For now, there are just a few reliable apps out there.

Mac OS X
iSquint seems to be the best solution for conversion on the Mac OS X side of things. Not only does it have a great name, but it converts very quickly and is extremely easy to use. Oh, and did we mention it is free? If not, here we go: it’s free. The creator, Tyler Loch, has been working on it a ton. He is very active in the support forums and helps resolves any issues that come up with the app.

Amazingly, Tyler has also created the best DVD to iPod software for the Mac as well. HandBrake Lite requires only two clicks to convert a DVD to an iPod compatible format. It lacks in advance features and settings currently, but makes up for it in ease of use. Both iSquint and HandBrake Lite are still under development so check back to iSquint.org often for updates.

Mind you, there are other solutions for these conversions. Podner seems to work quite well, but runs $10.

Windows
On the Windows side of things, there are more (and more confusing) options.

The most trusted program seems to be theVideora iPod Converter. It’s free, fast, and has plenty of options. We’ve used it and it works like a charm. But there are other options.

Divx-Digest has an easy to follow article on using the 3GP Converter to make iPod safe videos. This seems to be a fairly easy solution.

There is also a solution by InterVideo called iVideoToGo. Although it costs $30, there is a free trial so you can test it out.

I haven’t found an easy to use application for converting DVDs to iPod compatible videos yet. But for those of you with a bit of cash ($20), XCopyPod seems very promising. They don’t have a trial to test out, so I suggest you look around for reviews on the product.

I know this doesn’t have anything to do with the video iPod, but for those of you running iPod Linux on your Nano, there is a very beta Easy iPod Linux Video Converter available. Currently in version .6 it seems to be a pretty straight forward way to get iPod formated videos for your Nano made quickly.

Wrap-up
Obviously this isn’t an all inclusive list, but it should give you everything you need to get video on your new iPod. If you have any suggestions or comments please go ahead and leave them. We will edit the post with any new information you provide us with.

Advertisements

6 comments so far

  1. Steve on

    Maybe you can make some suggestions of sitse to download videos from that doesn’t involve breaking the law, because every one of the sites you mention is an illegal bittorrent site and not everyone agrees it’s ok to steal. Theoretically, even recommending those sites yourself is illegal. Hardly “ultimate”.

  2. mark on

    Well, not everything on those sites are illegal. Okay, I will admit that over 95% of it is, but what about the other 5%!!

  3. fantastico on

    Exactly Mark. ;) Also, there is plenty of legal content on the sites mentioned. You just have to look pretty hard to find it. But don’t worry, another post is planned that will be all legal sources of content formated for the video iPod. Any suggestions Steve?

  4. Steve on

    I thought you’d never ask – how about my own site – http://www.podguide.tv :)

  5. lucky gate casino on

    lucky gate casino

    twirls adornment deceases

  6. slaco casinò in linea on

    slaco casinò in linea…

    O’Neill?sticky.blurted …


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: